Thursday, September 3, 2009


I know I haven't been writing religiously! I apologize!

Short Update: Following the 7.1 Magnitude earthquake off the coast of Java, I would like to report that all of the IACS participants are ok. The tsunami warning has been revoked as well.

As for me, I am working hard on refining my Balinese dancing skills and attempting to play the gamelon in the same tempo as everyone else...

This past weekend we traveled to the famous Bedulgul Temple in Northern Bali. Along the way we stopped at an amazing Eco-tourist resort for lunch with an amazing view. Fried bananas and honey are a staple buffet item here and never cease to amaze me!

We were only at the temple for a short while before heading off to another Monkey Forest. Unfortunately, the monkeys here didn't look very healthy. Many of them were blind or clearly hurt. I wonder if there is a way that tourism can create a positive economic impact in these villages without such negative spillover effects. Also went to a traditional pasar for some fruit. my new favorite: terong belanda. I have been trying to figure out what it is...i know it is a species of nightshade, but it tastes citrusy. It is the red fruit in the front row on the far left, next to the mangosteen.


From there we headed to Tanah Lot again to finally catch the sunset!


Also, Astrid and I decided to try something a little bit different on Saturday...She is a horseback rider and saw a pamphlet for riding here in Bali. I haven't ridden a horse in quite a long time, but that didn't stop me! It was absolutely amazing! We rode along the breath taking black sand each in Canggu. It was only her and I and two guides who were extremely friendly and helpful. We stopped to check out a shrine in a bat cave as well as a temple on the cliff above the cave.

Apparently its also a great fishing locale! We headed back through a small village, where we got "hellos!" and waves left and right. We headed back, fording a river, and across the beach towards Tanah Lot. Astrid was impressed with how clean and well kept the horses and stables were, so we hung around a bit after and chatted with the owner, Natalie. She is Australian and has been living in Bali for two years now. She is a photographer who fell in love with Bali and has a gallery in Kuta that I cannot wait to go see!



I really need to go to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight...and hopefully Umberto, my previous living companion, is no longer knocking on my door!

1 comment:

  1. hey steph- i asm soo jealous!!!Riding a horse along a beach? Awesome!!!
    By the way - you look skinny..I believe u lost some weight!!Keep it up-luv u much, mom

    ReplyDelete